Dear Class of 2020 Students and Families,
We hope this letter finds you well. We know that the closure of the school buildings and cancellation of activities due to the COVID-19 pandemic has been very disappointing and difficult for our seniors and their families. It is our hope that you will find the alternative plans following guidance from the New York State Governor’s Office, State Education Department, and the Center for Disease Control meaningful and special. Please review the following:
- On Thursday, June 25th, students who wish to have a chance to wave goodbye to district faculty and staff will have the option of driving through the Holland Community Center loop at 6:00 p.m. Students must stay in their cars and staff will be stationed at different areas of the loop to wave goodbye.
- Graduation will be held on Friday, June 26th at 8:00 p.m. at the Delevan Twin Drive-In Theatre at 11771 NY-16, Delevan, NY, 14042. Entry will begin at 7:00 pm. Diplomas will be conferred at 8 p.m. and the virtual ceremony will begin at dusk. Audio will be accessible through your vehicle’s stereo.
- For entry, each vehicle must present the graduation postcard they will receive in the mail. Please call the high school office at 716-537-8221 if you do not receive a postcard by Wednesday, June 24th.
- Graduates are limited to one car per family, unless both parents do not live in the same household; something we have accommodated according to our official records.
- The venue will space vehicles six feet apart and guests are required to practice social distancing and wear a mask when not in your vehicle. Restrooms are available for limited use.
- Food should not be brought into the ceremony or shared between families.
- Since this is a school event, the school code of conduct still applies. Obviously smoking, alcohol, and drugs are prohibited by both the Code of Conduct and the Drive-In's regulations.
- Diplomas will be conferred by the High School Principal to each student. Students will be called up by assigned group listed on the invitation card. There will be a staging area for students in each group to wait, and they must wear their masks.
- The traditional speeches and announcement of scholarships have been incorporated in the ceremony, along with multiple photos of each graduate and an announcement of his/herfuture plans. Feel free to honk horns, flashlights, cheer, and clap when your graduate is featured, respecting that the next student’s entrance be heard.
- The ceremony will air on FOX 29/WUTV on Saturday, June 27th at 9 p.m.
- Scholarships will be mailed to the recipients after the ceremony.
Thank you for your cooperation in adhering to guidelines. We look forward to celebrating with you!
Cathy V. Fabiatos, Superintendent of Schools
The Holland Central School Board of Education and Administrative Team